It’s that time again to get your creative minds and sewing machines ready for the Linn County Fair Quilt Block Challenge. Pre-civil war reproduction fabrics have been chosen to commemorate the 130th anniversary of The Linn County Fair. The kits are now available for $5 and can be picked up at Connie’s Quilt shop in Marion or by contacting Kris Blackford or Jean Dunn.
Blocks will be on display at the 2018 Linn County Fair June 27th thru July 2nd. The blocks will be judged for the Viewer’s Choice that will receive a $25 gift certificate from Connie’s Quilt Shop. Later the blocks will be made into a quilt to be raffled off at the following year’s fair. All proceeds will go towards improvements of The Linn County Fair.
- Contest limited to 50 participants. Open to all Iowa residents.
- Contestant will pay $5.00 per kit. One kit per exhibitor.
- Exhibitor may use all fabrics that are included in the kit. Do not add fabrics.
- Appliquéing is allowed. Quilting is now allowed. Machine or hand embroidery is not allowed.
- Paper piecing is allowed but must take off the backing yourself before entering your block.
- Exhibitor may use an established pattern or create an original block, the block size must be 9 ½” by 9 ½”, will finish to 9″ x 9″.
- Blocks entered become property of The Linn County Fair Association. Blocks to be made into a quilt and raffled off the following year with the proceeds going for improvements of The Linn County Fair. Extra blocks received may be made into a small wall hanging, shams or pillows.
- A $25 gift certificate to Connie’s Quilt Shop will be awarded for Viewers Choice.
- Take your fabrics and copy them off on your printer, lay them out on a graphic design.
- Use scrap fabrics to make your block 1st before cutting into your kit fabric.
Stop by Connie’s Quilt Shop in Marion to pick up the quilt blocks or by contacting Kris Blackford at 319-721-9136, Jean Dunn at 319-721-6524 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The finished block must be dropped off at Connie’s Quilt Shop, to Kris Blackford or Jean Dunn no later than Monday, May 7, 2018.
Stay tuned for your opportunity to purchase a raffle ticket for your chance to win the 2017 Quilt Block Challenge finished quilt. Drawing will be held during the 2018 Linn County Fair, need not be present to win. Raffle tickets will be for sale for $1 per tickets.