Wanted, Quilting and sewing enthusiasts! The Linn County Fair is looking for participants for the annual Quilt Block Challenge. With help from Connie’s Quilt Shop, the contest is back again this year. Fifty quilt block kits are now available for purchase. Contestants must use all the fabric included in the kit to create a quilt block for a chance to win the Viewer’s Choice and $25 gift certificate from Connie’s Quilt Shop.
Kris Blackford, chairman of the Quilt Block Challenge, describes the process they go through every year to determine what fabric they are going to use for this year’s challenge. “We first decide if we are going to try and carry out the fair color theme for that year, sometimes we can and sometimes it’s not possible. We make the trip to Connie’s Quilt Shop and first look for a focus fabric. Then from there we look for coordinating colors to go with that focus fabric and what we’re going to use for a border, sashing, setting stones, picture framing, etc. we do this with Connie’s help.”
Blocks will be on display at the 2017 Linn County Fair June 28th thru July 3rd. The blocks will be judged for the Viewer’s Choice that will receive a $25 gift certificate from Connie’s Quilt Shop. Later the blocks will be made into a quilt to be raffled off at the following year’s fair. All proceeds will go towards improvements of The Linn County Fair.
- Contest limited to 50 participants. Open to all Iowa residents.
- Contestant will pay $5.00 per kit. One kit per exhibitor.
- Exhibitor may use all fabrics that are included in the kit. Do not add fabrics.
- Appliquéing is allowed. Quilting is now allowed. Machine or hand embroidery is not allowed.
- Paper piecing is allowed but must take off the backing yourself before entering your block.
- Exhibitor may use an established pattern or create an original block, the block size must be 9 ½” by 9 ½”, will finish to 9″ x 9″.
- Blocks entered become property of The Linn County Fair Association. Blocks to be made into a quilt and raffled off the following year with the proceeds going for improvements of The Linn County Fair. Extra blocks received may be made into a small wall hanging, shams or pillows.
- A $25 gift certificate to Connie’s Quilt Shop will be awarded for Viewers Choice.
- Take your fabrics and copy them off on your printer, lay them out on a graphic design.
- Use scrap fabrics to make your block 1st before cutting into your kit fabric.
Stop by Connie’s Quilt Shop in Marion to pick up the quilt blocks or by contacting Kris Blackford at 319-721-9136, Jean Dunn at 319-721-6524 or emailing email@example.com. The finished block must be dropped off or mailed no later than Monday, May 8, 2017.
Stay tuned for your opportunity to purchase a raffle ticket for your chance to win the 2016 Quilt Block Challenge finished quilt. Drawing will be help on Sunday, July 2, 2017 at the Linn County Fair, need not be present to win. Raffle tickets will be for sale for $1 per tickets.