Iowa is becoming known for their locally grown and produced wine. The Linn County Fair and Déjà Vine Vineyards & Winery were excited to host the first Open Amateur Wine Making contest at the Linn County Fair on Friday, July 8, 2011 to help show case some of the amateur wines in Iowa.
The wines were judged on a twenty point scale with the totals of each judge added together for the final score. The points were as followed:
Sight – judging the color (max. 1 pt.) and clarity (max. 2 pt) for a total maximum of 3 points.
Smell – judging the aroma (max. 2 pt.) and bouquet (max. 2 pt.,) for a total maximum of 4 points.
Taste– judging sweetness (max, 1 pt.), tannin (max. 2 pt.), acidity (max. 2 pt.), and body (max. 1 pt.) for a total maximum of 6 points,
Finish – judging the length (max. 2 pt.) and balance (max. 2 pt.) for a total maximum of 4 points.
Overall – judging the general quality for a maximum of 3 points.
The two judges’ scores were added together and the award based on the following total scores:
- 34-40 = Outstanding Wine Blue Award
- 26-35 = Sound Wine Red Award
- 18-25 = Noticeable Defect White Award
- 12-17 = Below commercial acceptability No award
- 1-11 = Completely spoiled No award
The judges were very pleased with the quality of the wines entered. All wines did receive an award.
Judges picked the non-varietal Red Dry wine of Ron Waite as the best over-all wine in the competition.
2011 OPEN AMATEUR WINE MAKING COMPETITION Results
Rob Anderson –
- Non-varietal White Sweet – Red Award
Andy Elliot –
- Non-varietal Red Dry – Blue Award
- Non-varietal White Dry- White Award
Chad Steffen –
- Non-varietal Red Sweet – Red Award
- Country Wine Rhubarb -Blue Award
- Country Wine Fruit Red Sweet – Red Award
- Country Wine Fruit White Sweet – Blue Award
Joe Steffen –
- Non-varietal Red Sweet -White Award
- Country Wine Rhubarb – White Award
- Country Wine Fruit White Sweet – White Award
- Country Wine – White Award
Patricia Strait –
- Country Wine Fruit Red Sweet- White Award
Ron Waite –
- Country Wine Fruit Red Sweet – Blue Award
- Cider – Blue Award