One of my favorite things to see at the fair the last couple of years is the Recycled Garden Art entries. It amazes me how some creative people are and how they can make “trash” into art!
You still have time to look around your garage full of “junk” for something that you use a little imagination and turn it into a master piece. So, instead of sending your “junk” to the landfill, why not make it into art.
Here is an opportunity for the residents of Linn County and surrounding areas to help keep “trash” out of the landfill. Instead take trash and turn it into art for your garden! You are probably thinking what do I have that can be turned into art. Do you have any of these items in your house, garage, attic: tires, old pots/pans, bowling ball, cans, boots, toilet seat/bowl, old silverware, old/broken jewelry, etc. These items can be turned into planters, fountains, gazing balls, wind chimes, or garden statues.
Below are pictures taken from last year’s recycled garden art contest and you will see the many different recycled items used to create beautiful garden art!
1.Open to residents of Linn County (metro areas included).
2. There will be four age categories and one special category
a. 3-11 (preschool thru 5th grade)
b. 12-18 (6th thru 12th grade)
c. 19-64 (adults)
d. Over 65 (seniors)
e. Special Category open to all ages – Bird house/feeders
f. SPECIAL NOTE FOR BIRDHOUSES/FEEDERS – if you want your house/feeder
to hang, you will need to bring a shepherd’s hook or something to display it. Other
wise it will just be sitting on the ground or possibly a table by the garden art. You
can hang it on the two trees in the area if you bring the hangers needed.
3. Each item must consist of 50% recycled material.
4. More than one entry per person may be entered, but it will be judged in only one category.
For example – your birdhouse can be enteredin your age group OR the special category, but not both.
5. Entries shown at previous fairs will not be accepted.
6. The following information must be completed on the registration form. [This will enable the officials to make a card that will be attached to the item at time of entry.]
a. Age group or special category
b. Name or type of item (bowling ball art, bottle birdfeeder, metal sculpture, etc.)
c. List of all materials used and where they were obtained.
d. Cost of making the item
e. If you are willing to sell the item. (If yes, include a phone number. Officials will only give out the number to prospective buyers.)
7. Registration deadline is July 5, 2010
8. Entry check-in will be at the Gate Building of the fair grounds on Wednesday, July 7 from 9am
to 5 pm. ALL entries must be checked in by 5 p.m.
9. Prized will be awarded for the following
a. Best of Show (from all categories as determined by the judges)
b. Peoples Choice (from all categories as determined by vote of fair goers)
c. First, second, and third place in each category.
10. All entries must be picked up on Monday, July 12 after 3 pm, unless prior arrangements are
made. Any entry not picked up will become the property of the Linn County Fair
For more information and registration form go to http://thelinncountyfair.com/2010/doc%20files/rec-gar-art-contest-rules-2010.pdf or email: email@example.com